SENIOR INFORMATION SHEET
COLLEGE AND SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION
All college and scholarship applications must be entered into Naviance (see attached information on Navigating Naviance) and accompanied by our transcript request form. This form can be found on our website as well as in Naviance downloads. We strongly recommend that you pay attention to deadlines and complete all applications in a timely manner. Please retain this sheet for future reference.
❏ There are several ways to apply online. Each application has its own guidelines to follow (i.e. Common Application, SUNY, various school-based websites, and more). Choose how you will apply and follow the instructions given.
❏ Do NOT use your school google email address; create a new one or use a personal one that is your own not a parent email.
❏ Complete Senior Questionnaire from your counselor or via google survey.
❏ Keep copies of all applications and essays for your personal file.
❏ Put your name on any supporting documentation in the event it gets separated from your application.
❏ Teacher recommendations must be requested through Naviance. Please give the teacher ample time prior to the deadline to complete and upload your recommendation. Keep in mind they may be writing letters for several students. It is common courtesy to ask the teacher first and provide a resume.
❏ SUBMIT APPLICATIONS WELL IN ADVANCE OF THEIR DEADLINE.
❏ REMINDER: Complete and return transcript request form to your counselor.
❏ Contact your guidance counselor with any questions via email. Virtual or in person appointments are available upon request.
● Please check Naviance frequently for updated scholarship information (recommend bi-weekly).
● If you complete an online application, please communicate this to your guidance counselor if it requires any school documents. If it is web based, you may need to log in at school with your counselor so they may upload it with you.
● Follow delivery instructions carefully. If it needs to be mailed, please supply an addressed envelope along with 3 postage stamps to the guidance office.
**PLEASE NOTE: OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS ARE NOT GIVEN TO STUDENTS THEY MUST BE SENT DIRECTLY TO THE COLLEGE OR SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE.
***YOU MUST REQUEST OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS DIRECTLY FROM THE COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES FOR ANY COLLEGE LEVEL COURSES YOU HAVE TAKEN IN HIGH SCHOOL
SEE ATTACHED INFORMATION ON THE VIRTUAL COLLEGE AND CAREER SERIES OFFERED BY CASDA NY
Login to Naviance through your school google account
ALL COLLEGE APPLICATIONS REGARDLESS OF HOW YOU APPLIED MUST BE ENTERED INTO NAVIANCE TO BE PROCESSED
IN THE COLLEGES TAB – CLICK ON COLLEGES I’M APPLYING TO AND ADD YOUR COLLEGES
1. IF USING COMMON APPLICATION Register via the website (www.commonapp.org). Common App should be used if you’re applying to at least one Common Application School. Be sure to use your personal email address not the school email to create your account. Everyone MUST complete the following tasks to sign the FERPA waiver in the Common Application:
Complete the EDUCATION section
Add at least one college to the MY COLLEGES section
- Matching the Common Application to Naviance:
Log on to Naviance
Click on the COLLEGES tab
Click on COLLEGES I’M APPLYING TO
Enter your Common Application email address in the COMMON APPLICATION MATCHING section
Confirm the date of birth listed is correct
The Schools from your Common Application will automatically appear on your screen when you match the Common Application to Naviance
APPLYING VIA COMMON APP? YES, should be indicated if it is a Common Application college
- Colleges not using Common Application For all other college applications you must manually add the colleges to your list by moving them from COLLEGES I’M THINKING ABOUT or clicking + add colleges to this list on the COLLEGES I’M APPLYING TO page.
Complete the student portion of the college application as directed.
- Contact the College Board or ACT Testing Company to send official score reports if you have not taken advantage of the 4 free score reports included in the registration fee. Be aware of deadlines!
SAT/SAT Subject Tests – www.collegeboard.org or 1-866-756-7346
ACT – www.actstudent.org or 1-319-337-1313
AP Scores – 1-888-225-5428 or 1-609-771-7300
- Procedure for Requesting a Teacher Letter of Recommendation
Personally ask or email teachers to request a letter of recommendation. Provide them with a copy of your resume. After you have received confirmation from the teacher log onto Naviance to finalize your request.
In Naviance click on COLLEGES Then LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
FIND TEACHER’S NAME AND SUBMIT
Your counselor will be completing your school report; it is not necessary to select them as a recommendation.
- Counselor Responsibilities
Your counselor will send the following items to each college when the student completes and returns the signed TRANSCRIPT REQUEST FORM with the colleges listed.
Upon Receipt the counselor will then send:
List of Senior Year Courses with grades when available
Counselor Recommendation – Please provide your counselor with a resume
Washingtonville High School Profile
- NCAA Requirements - www.eligibilitycenter.org
Refer to NCAA website for more information
Students must complete necessary release paperwork specific to the NCAA.
Contact your counselor directly with any questions.